David says a future comeback isn’t “impossible”…

July 20th, 2011
david-says-a-future-comeback-isnt-impossible

David Tennant has revealed that, while there are no current plans for him to make a return, he hasn’t completely ruled out a Doctor Who comeback at some point in the future.

“Not impossible, but no plans at the moment,” he explained during a recent interview with Total Film. “People keep telling me they’ve read online I’m coming back, but believe me, if that happens I’ll be the first to tell everyone, I’ll be shouting about it very loudly.” He made his final appearance as the Tenth Doctor in The End of Time, Part Two.

He continued: “I am very proud of the show and I am aware it casts a long shadow professionally, but I’m happy about that. It is a shadow wearing a cool, long coat!”

Would you like to see the Tenth Doctor again? The 50th anniversary is coming up…

1. The Parminder Victorious
    July 20th, 2011 at 2.59am | #1

Hey, Peter Davison came back and did a little skit with Tennant. Would be awesome to see a couple Doctors come back for the 50th. *fingers crossed* Christopher Eccleston!

2. e.p
    July 20th, 2011 at 4.37am | #2

YESSSS heeheeheehee
    (sorry, someone let the fan-girl out :P )

3. Caitlin Ryser
    July 20th, 2011 at 5.23am | #3

I think it would be cool to have all of the remaining actors who are still alive, kind of come together and meet. Because the fiftieth anniversary for Doctor Who is a Big Deal… I know that a lot of the actors that play the Doctor recently grew up watching Doctor Who, so not only would it be cool for us to see all of the remaining regenerations of the Doctor together again, but I think it would be cool for all of the Doctor’s to come together and meet as well…

4. Professor Zed
    July 20th, 2011 at 5.36am | #4

Of course I would love to see Tennant come back at some point. It would be loads of fun. What would be absolutely amazing however, would be to see Tom Baker come back! The same timey-wimey “aging” explanation given for Davison’s appearance in “Time Crash” could be applied for T. Baker as well.

5. Alex
    July 20th, 2011 at 6.47am | #5

I’d say of all past Doctors, Tennant is probably the one most likely to return in some form, regardless of where his film and TV career takes him. The Classic Era Doctors have age going against them (the Time Crash time differential joke only works once), but fortunately can always do Big Finish audios. And Eccleston has said he has no interest in reprising the role. Neither does McGann (on screen, anyway – he still does the audios). So some form of crossover with Tennant is the most likely scenario.

Having said that … one way the BBC could get around the age factor is to simply do an animated story, thereby allowing Tom Baker et al to voice their original Doctors. The BBC’s done 2 already – Infinite Quest and Dreamland – and Big Finish is getting into the animation game with the Benny Summerfield CGI short that was done a year or so ago and the Reign of Terror reconstruction. It might be the only way to go.

6. TSG
    July 20th, 2011 at 9.47am | #6

Look at all you sensible people, making sensible comments. Sorry, but I’m with @e.p on this one:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

7. TARDIS2000
    July 20th, 2011 at 11.27am | #7

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY…… ahem ……..sorry its all out now! That would be amazing!

July 20th, 2011 at 11.44am | #8

I can feel the negative comments in the air, though I doubt I’m psychic, we’ll have to wait and see, lol

The 10th Doctor is my Doctor though, always will be, and I’d love to see him back again. He made Doctor Who feel a certain way that hasn’t been there in Season 5 and 6 for me, despite having enjoyed those too.

My only concern is that, if they do bring the 10th Doctor back, David won’t remember how to do the 10th Doctor’s accent properly since I hardly think he keeps it practiced.

July 20th, 2011 at 11.47am | #9

I also like his continued excitement and enthusiasm about Doctor Who, whereas you have Eccleston saying he couldn’t be paid enough to be the 9th Doctor again and McGann saying he wouldn’t have wanted to have the kind of attention Eccleston, Tennant and Smith have gotten worldwide.

10. Patrick
    July 20th, 2011 at 12.12pm | #10

I wouldn’t mind if Tennant came back but only for the 50th anniversary with Paul, Chris and Matt.

11. TardisTraveler10
    July 20th, 2011 at 4.12pm | #11

YES!! I’d want him back!!!

12. Rose Weasley
    July 20th, 2011 at 4.52pm | #12

YAAAAAAAAAAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! That would be really good! :D

13. TARDIS2000
    July 20th, 2011 at 5.16pm | #13

10 is my doctor I’d love it if he came back!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPP oh dear I’m going all fangirl!

14. Katie
    July 20th, 2011 at 7.36pm | #14

Who wouldnt love it if Ten came back?! I know hes definitely a favourite amongst fans and I, personally would love to see him return! I love the way he’s so proud of the show too, he’d always seem excited about it and never complains about talking about it, he’s great! <3

15. David
    July 20th, 2011 at 7.46pm | #15

David McDonald, sorry Tennant :), was and IS a huge fan of DW.

I would bet my life on him returning at some point, in some capacity, most probably in a “multiple Doctor” story.

16. Darren
    July 20th, 2011 at 9.53pm | #16

Personally I hope he doesn’t. His doctor along with Peter Davison are the worst in my view. I never quite believe he was the doctor, just like Davison. I kept waiting thinking “when is the doctor going to be on”. And so I personally hope he doesn’t. I would like to see other doctors return though. Mcgann or Chris would be cool. Maybe even McCoy? Dunno, but I never liked Tennant and still don’t.

Also Matt Smith is fantastic as the doctor, just a shame about the dreadful producer Steven Moffat, who has been taught a strong card! He is apparently a good writer, but as a producer he is utterly awful. I wish Matt could be given better stories, as he deserves much better than the patronising rubbish he is given.

Tennant…please don’t come back!

17. Doc
    July 20th, 2011 at 10.02pm | #17

It would be good to see Colin & Sylvester given a fair crack with a new, modern day, on-screen story. They weren’t really given much of quality to work with in the 80s. Problem is of course age, so I would not expect to see this happen. But they continue excellent audio work.

So, yes, I suspect only a Tennant return is really on the cards, unless it’s a celebratory episode that is not really part of the “real” Doctor Who universe!

July 20th, 2011 at 10.26pm | #18

Good to hear my expectations weren’t inaccurate, lol

July 20th, 2011 at 10.34pm | #19

I’ve heard from one of my friends since I posted this on the forum I’m part of (with due credit to Whoviannet), who said he’d love to see Tennant back too.

I’m not a Classic Doctor Who fan, I get bored quite easily unfortunately. That’s not to say I don’t highly respect and value the Classics for the rich history they created, but until Christopher Eccleston, I had no interest in Doctor Who.

The 10th Doctor was my Doctor and I’m 100% unashamed of that.

20. badwolfjen
    July 21st, 2011 at 1.02am | #20

I would love to see the return of 10.5 and Rose at some point in the futcher.

Comment pages