Rate & Discuss: The Blood Line

September 10th, 2011

The Torchwood team travel across the world on a final mission. The Three Families are unstoppable, unless a terrible sacrifice is made…

We’ve made it! The series finale is here, but was The Blood Line a worthy conclusion?

It has been 10 weeks of high octane drama, mystery and suspense, but the sun has now set on Miracle Day. In the explosive finale, our dedicated heroes set out on their most challenging mission yet, in a desperate attempt to restore order to the human race.

Jack and Gwen were pushed to the limit, and the final fate of Earth was determined by a terrible sacrifice, bringing the expected array of shocks, twists and even a few tears…

So, what did you think of the finale? Were the answers the pay off you were expecting? Are you disappointed? What have been your highs/lows of the series as a whole? For the last time, post your Miracle Day musings in the comments below. It’s been fun, guys!

This discussion won’t be monitored for spoilers, so please don’t read any of the comments if you haven’t seen the episode yet. As soon as you have, feel free to let us know your thoughts – and don’t forget to rate the episode too!

Keep up to date with all the Miracle Day developments at our Torchwood site!

Rate this episode
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(19 Votes, Average: 4.21/5)
  1. TARDIS2000
    September 11th, 2011 at 10.30am | #1

@e.p
    Good point they do seem to have an obbsession with large gaps in space and time, earth, between universes ect.
    Enjoyed the episode but my problem with the Rex thing is just that that means jack isn’t unique anymore and of all the people I don’t really like Rex I like Esther so much more than him it was very sad when she died. I hope theres a series 5 but if there is please God Russell go back to the days of the Hub and a moster a week format because this dragged far to long.

2. Grace
    September 11th, 2011 at 8.45pm | #2

Gavin I admit I’d never considered that! Good figuring out!

3. Gary Amos
    September 12th, 2011 at 4.00pm | #3

Something that really bugged me since the Blessing was revealed is the geography of the thing itself. I know this sounds toffy nosed crap but surely if the crack was in the surface of the Earth running through it how would they be able to look at it horizontally (e.g. stand on the platform and huge crack runs up skyward). It’s not possible surely it would be below them as no matter where they are on the globe the crack would be beneath them not in their eye line. LOL sorry just bugged me and I miss the Aliens from Torchwood. Torchwood defends against alien threats but we rarely see any aliens these past few years but none the less a good series!

4. Alex
    September 12th, 2011 at 5.09pm | #4

@TARDIS2000 To be fair we don’t know the full ramifications of Rex’s transformation. Is he immortal forever (meaning the potential of meeting the Doctor)? Could HE (not Jack) end up being the Face of Boe? Could it be temporary? Could a future story involve his efforts to become “normal” again? I don’t see a problem with Jack no longer being “unique” – it all depends on how the writers handle it from here on out. Though part of me had hoped Esther would have been the survivor. It’s odd to see someone calling for a return to “monster of the week” because one of the reasons RTD went to the arcs is because everyone hated TW when it was “monster of the week”. ;)

5. TE
    September 12th, 2011 at 7.06pm | #5

@Alex
    Really? I thought it was because he preferred the COE-format. Either way, both formats are good but the problem with the COE/MD format is that you need a good solid story to fill the duration of the series, whereas anyone would feel more comfortable with the monster-of-the-week format because it allows you to explore a different world to every other writer with no worries about story arc or a storyline for the entire series.

6. Patrick
    September 15th, 2011 at 9.56pm | #6

It was absolutely brilliant but one think I’m so sad about is the death of Esther. I was hoping she would survive and I’m not ashamed to say I was crying a bit.

7. shots1
    September 15th, 2011 at 10.06pm | #7

Great finale ! But think overall Gwen Cooper & Esther were the stars for me & Gwen really came into her own as a character. Going to rewatch again now ! The series as a whole was too slow & some elements seemed irrelevant, whereas much more could have been made about how it affected the earth as a whole. And was the Oswald Gaines character really required the whole series ? Not for me. Huge pity Esther cannot return.

8. JTudd1995
    September 15th, 2011 at 10.27pm | #8

I really wanted Esther to live and Rex to die to be honest

He really has been my least favourite new character, with no better lines than calling Jack World War 2 – I liked that

But RTD has been very clever – he has been told that Torchwood wont survive with out him (Starz wont make another series) so what does he go an do? Make it so that the one character the show is reliant on (Captain Jack) is no longer unique!

September 16th, 2011 at 10.32am | #9

Last night, I missed the last episode of Miracle Day out of principle, a last and in the general scheme of things, perhaps insignificant protest at how Miracle Day has been done and after having seen the final episode on iPlayer, it was the right decision.

Don’t get me wrong, it was a good episode. After 9 hours, Miracle Day achieved Torchwood status in my eyes, it felt like Torchwood of old, and yet I still very much regret Miracle Day.

I regret that it didn’t start until half way through Episode 5, I regret that the first four and a half episodes of Miracle Day have tainted Series 4 for me, I regret that The Three Families still going on means there will be another Miracle Day, IE: Americanised to the hilt.

I liked Episode 10, it was the perfect series finale in true RTD style and in a way, that makes things worse because overall, I didn’t like Miracle Day, I haven’t even been able to call it Torchwood because it doesn’t compare to Series 1, 2 and Children of Earth.

The first half of the series was slow and very bland, felt detached from everything that was Torchwood and so because of this, it claiming it was Torchwood was offensive in that light. We got to Episode 5 and finally, there was a glimmer that Torchwood was coming back to life, life signs that got stronger by the episode, culminating in Episode 10, which finally was Torchwood and then the series ended.

So I regret that Miracle Day only had half a series of Torchwood, only truly becoming Torchwood in the very last episode. As a Torchwood fan, I feel sad that I didn’t enjoy this series the way I should have, I feel sad that there’s another immortal besides Jack, considerably and significantly devaluing him as a character and that the story of Miracle Day continues with the three families, who both now tie Torchwood to America indefinitely, suggesting that if there are more series, Torchwood isn’t coming home, there will potentially be more deals with American Networks and they will see anymore Torchwood first.

After 10 hours, 10 weeks, can I say that watching Miracle Day for all that time was worth it just for one great episode right at the end?………..I just can’t. I went into watching Miracle Day expecting to watch Torchwood and Torchwood only arrived in Episode 10 of 10, at which point it was all over.

I guess at the end of the day, I just feel sorry for myself as a fan. I don’t regret watching Miracle Day, because it wasn’t bad as a standalone show, but as Torchwood, it wasn’t what I’d want for the series.

I know others won’t agree with much or anything I’ve said and that’s fine, we all have our own opinions and all are valid, it’s just the way I’ve seen this series of Miracle Day.

10. MWAnderson
    September 16th, 2011 at 11.41am | #10

Who really believes Esther is dead? Really?

Think about it… did the characters really seem that affected at the end when they were walking away from the coffin? Yes, they spoke about Esther in the past tense for all to hear but I think that was the point. I wonder if Esther did survive and was squirrelled away by Jack and Gwen to act as their “intelligence hub” in the same way that Barbara Gordon became Oracle for Batman when she was wheelchair-bound. Jack and Gwen need someone off the grid to act as their intelligence gatherer, and who better than Esther who will, I think, be in Series Five. She, Rex, Jack and Gwen are the new Torchwood team.

And if she isn’t back – if she really is dead – then there was some pretty lacklustre acting from the leads in that episode!

And as for Jack’s blood making Rex immortal… ummm, hadn’t we established within the show itself that it wasn’t his blood that was special per se but rather Rose’s gift of eternal life that kept him a fixed point in time? It was all a little confusing and “deus ex machina” in the end.

11. Rose Weasley
    September 16th, 2011 at 5.31pm | #11

It wasn’t Jack’s blood that made Rex immortal, it was a gift from the Blessing. Jane Espenson said so on Twitter afterwards.

12. MWAnderson
    September 16th, 2011 at 11.13pm | #12

@Rose Weasley

Then if Jane Espenson had to explain this important plot point, then it’s incredibly bad writing on her part… one shouldn’t have to be explained the plot of a television drama via Twitter.

But even so, the Blessing – whatever it is – isn’t anything to do with Jack’s immortality. Okay, I guess we could say that the Blessing is Humanity’s cut-off switch, forcing us to die rather than be immortal but why give that gift to Rex and not Esther? Again, incredibly bad writing and plot holes as big as the Blessing itself. Sigh…

13. Rose Weasley
    September 17th, 2011 at 6.14pm | #13

@MWAnderson
    That is true.

Sorry if I sounded rude, I just wanted to make it clearer. :)

14. MWAnderson
    September 18th, 2011 at 2.09pm | #14

@Rose Weasley

That’s okay. I’m rarely offended by posters on here, simply because one cannot hear the tone with which the post was “said”. Fear not, I didn’t take offense.

15. Jacqueline
    January 22nd, 2012 at 3.59pm | #15

I miss the orginal Torchwood, and am not happy with the american version. We americans watch BBC America because we want the british version.

16. Grace
    January 22nd, 2012 at 8.26pm | #16

@Jacqueline

OMG! YOU TOO! I watch an insane amount of British Television! And here’s another secret, because I hate actually watching television, I give Itunes and insane amount of money for my British television! I fell in love with its shows when I lived overseas and watched endless amount BBC and I still can’t get enough of it! That’s why I was so sad when they Americanized (And then turned it into a parody!)Torchwood!

I might be wrong, but from my grasp of what I’ve experienced, British television producers have mastered the art of showing subtle amounts of things and allowing the audience to make the leaps it needs to. It doesn’t need big and flashy (usually) when a word spoken at the right time with the right facial expression will do.

When Torchwood came to the US they filled it with lots of filler info we didn’t need while leaving out most of the important parts I’m sure we would have appreciated. Case in point: let’s stop in the middle and all have a good screw because even though people are trying to kill us and we need to be looking for basics–food and shelter, sex with strangers is way more exciting! In the words of the real Captain Jack: “Time and a place!”

It’s not that we in the U.S. can’t do quality television is that more often than not we choose not to! And we never should have been allowed to do anything with Torchwood but help finance it!

17. DJ Jarak
    May 23rd, 2015 at 12.26pm | #17

I’ve watched Miracle Day over 3 times so far and loved it each and every single time. It breaks my heart to know that we won’t be seeing Torchwood return to television anytime soon. An audio series? What a spit in the face.

Comment pages