Rate & Discuss: The Blood Line

September 10th, 2011

The Torchwood team travel across the world on a final mission. The Three Families are unstoppable, unless a terrible sacrifice is made…

We’ve made it! The series finale is here, but was The Blood Line a worthy conclusion?

It has been 10 weeks of high octane drama, mystery and suspense, but the sun has now set on Miracle Day. In the explosive finale, our dedicated heroes set out on their most challenging mission yet, in a desperate attempt to restore order to the human race.

Jack and Gwen were pushed to the limit, and the final fate of Earth was determined by a terrible sacrifice, bringing the expected array of shocks, twists and even a few tears…

So, what did you think of the finale? Were the answers the pay off you were expecting? Are you disappointed? What have been your highs/lows of the series as a whole? For the last time, post your Miracle Day musings in the comments below. It’s been fun, guys!

This discussion won’t be monitored for spoilers, so please don’t read any of the comments if you haven’t seen the episode yet. As soon as you have, feel free to let us know your thoughts – and don’t forget to rate the episode too!

Keep up to date with all the Miracle Day developments at our Torchwood site!

Rate this episode
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(19 Votes, Average: 4.21/5)
  1. TARDIS75
    September 10th, 2011 at 4.21am | #1

The show REALLY redeemed itself in the end! It was brilliantly executed! Hooray for RTD and Jane Espenson. Such a superb ending, with a lot of wasted hours in between, sadly.,

2. TARDIS75
    September 10th, 2011 at 4.22am | #2

Of course they could have ended it without Rex having the #BadWolf powers that Rose/Bad Wolf/TARDIS extolled on Jack… but that’s besides the point.. and they could have skipped the lead-in to a follow-on series… and just a happy ending.

3. Al
    September 10th, 2011 at 4.46am | #3

@TARDIS75
    I TOTALLY agree with your comments…it was like a two or three part episode stretched into 10 parts…but the finale was great!

4. mc
    September 10th, 2011 at 5.59am | #4

Enjoyed the whole series…now when do we begin filiming series 5? ;) wish it had more time periods in it w/ jack in the past and future. Overall it was good. Thx to Davies and the cast it was entertaining.

5. e.p
    September 10th, 2011 at 6.58am | #5

It certainly did redeem itself in the last episode! Brilliant!

But: (*SPOILERS*)

Umm… what? Rex? No.

Rex redeemed himself as a character towards the end of the series; I actually began to like him. But that doesn’t mean we need him IMMORTAL. Eeeesh. Simply alive would have sufficed.
    (Excuse my Doctor Who fanatic rant for a mo)
    Captain Jack Harkness, potential Face of Boe, was made immortal because Rose brought him back to life with the Time Vortex.
    Explain to me how a blood transfusion (however thorough and total and complete) has changed both Rex’s DNA and timeline, probably. He didn’t have Rose controlling the Time Vortex for him (albeit accidentally).

RTD had better find a way to write himself out of this one, or send Rex to a parallel universe, or do something. Honestly.

Other than that, LOVED IT!

6. Aky
    September 10th, 2011 at 7.18am | #6

Thanks for de forward mode in the player. I had lost only a few hours of my life. Although I liked the last speech from Gwen when everything exploded, I really couldn’t stand the rest of her and Ester families dramas… The only prize they could possible win with the pointless drama is for kinda mexican soup operas. I’m so disappointed. And one more season with Rex .. Naaah, I give up.

7. Grace
    September 10th, 2011 at 7.32am | #7

Rex has a long, long, long way to go before I like him though I suppose now that’s he’s supposed to be like Jack he’ll have a chance to work on himself. It only took Jack how many decades to become the man we know today?

8. TE
    September 10th, 2011 at 9.21am | #8

Fantastic episode! Have to admit, that bomb scene at the CIA was perfect for the finale, as with the truck exploding. Fantastic use of a reference to the Doctor :D Glad Oswald finally had a good purpose and wasn’t just there to be a (insert bad word here), even though his suicide speech was a little cringe-worthy. Brilliant twist at the funeral, even if it wasn’t Jilly’s funeral, and I’m glad Charlotte finally got what she deserved. Can’t say I’m pleased about the sound of “Plan B”, but hopefully it never happens. Don’t know why Chris was thanked at the end of the episode, but glad he was involved in some capacity.

Overall: the series is good, but only certain episodes are actually worth watching over and over. Torchwood, however, does deserve a fifth series, just as long as it either goes back to the monster-of-the-week format for a series or goes for a shorter story like Children of Earth.

9. tom moloney
    September 10th, 2011 at 10.34am | #9

how could esther die!!!!!! she was the only one i didn’t want to die, gwen, who cares? rex eh but esther…….

10. Josh Naish
    September 10th, 2011 at 11.14am | #10

that was F##KING AMAZING!!!!!!!! The twists in that were brilliant, and in my opinion i think its good that rex is immortal like jack. Im not so sure about the plan b that the families have, if it was another miracle day then that would suck, but it could be interesting if its not. 11/10 for that episode

11. knitMuse
    September 10th, 2011 at 1.10pm | #11

@e.p
    Wasn’t the blessing a dipole? They explained that whatever happened at one end, had to happen at the other for it to work? I assume that because it was reversing Jack’s mortality, it would do the same for his blood in Rex, thus making Rex immortal.

As for what the Blessing actually is, I reckon it’s the Gaia/ Earth consciousness. An ancient intelligence that built the earth around itself; for protection, to hide, to rest…whatever.

Great series however – has provided plenty of talking points with my teenaged children on the many issues raised throughout (didn’t let them watch the naked Jack scenes, though!).

12. cybergirl
    September 10th, 2011 at 2.11pm | #12

Loved it ,although they did drag it too long,just cause they had a big budget dont mean you have to spend every penny .
    Saying that the finale was great,shame we didnt have any aliens though and loved the Doctor references.Dont mind that Rex is now immortal and i understand how he is,opens a lot of ideas for any future series although if i were a sceptic i might think that Rex is being set up as a replacement for Jack if ever it was decided they didnt want John Barrowman any more.
    And Andy and Rhys had very touching scene with Gwens dad and the unknown girl….lokk forward to a potential series 5!!!

13. ema
    September 10th, 2011 at 2.47pm | #13

OMG!!! I am from the UK and just couldn’t wait for this episode so I was cheeky and watched it online.
    I am shocked, and I can understand the whole dipole thing so Rex had Jack’s blood in him and it is the same thing Rex is now immortal.. I began to actually like Rex by the end of this so was shocked and slightly upset when he got shot!
    Sad about Esther though. I would compare her to a similar person to Ianto, she wasn’t a doctor like Owen was or a technical girl like Tosh was. So she was the inbetween person like Ianto know a fair bit about computers etc. Am gonna miss her in Series5.
    I wish they had killed off Jilly rather than Esther but oh well somethings have to be that way…
    Can’t wait for Series5!!!

14. The Parminder Victorious
    September 10th, 2011 at 3.21pm | #14

ARRGGHH, I hate when shows don’t answer major questions by the end of the last episode!

I liked the season as much as the next guy, but this certainly wasn’t my favorite season by far.

15. L.
    September 10th, 2011 at 4.29pm | #15

Okay, so how many times have we been told that Jack’s immortality has nothing to do with his blood…?

16. TE
    September 10th, 2011 at 4.59pm | #16

@L.
    But that was Jack saying it and he really doesn’t have a clue as to what’s keeping him immortal apart from the Doctor telling him he’s a “fact”.

17. e.p
    September 10th, 2011 at 5.38pm | #17

@knitMuse
    Aha ok, the dipole explanation makes the most sense. More sense than Jack’s blood being the answer.

I do have another major question though:
    If they used Jack’s blood to sort of “re-write” the template, why did Jack become mortal? Surely since it was his blood The Blessing would recognize him as a “correct” human and not make him mortal (because he is human, from the 51st century)? And why don’t the humans automatically heal like Jack? Because then you wouldn’t have a good story line with the Category 1s I suppose, but it seems to be a major plot hole.

I just don’t like Rex enough for him to be immortal, and I like Jack too much for him to not be unique. That’s my problem. :/

Also: did the concept of Jack’s blood “re-writing the matrix of the morphic fields” (whatever, it was something along those lines) remind anyone else of the nanogenes in The Empty Child/Doctor Dances? Similar ideas, anyway.

And this:
    The Rift, the Void, the Crack in Time, and the Blessing… what is the obsession with large, abstract fissures in places?
    LOL not a criticism, just an observation :D

18. L.
    September 10th, 2011 at 6.00pm | #18

And a fixed point created by Bad Wolf. The Doctor also told him he’s wrong and it hurts to look at him. So Rex’s the same now? No, it doesn’t make sense to me.
    Anyway, if Jack’s blood can make an immortal, what about his children…?

19. Gavin
    September 10th, 2011 at 9.23pm | #19

@L. It wasn’t Jack’s blood that made Rex immortal and therefore anyone else can be made that way. It was the fact Rex had Jack’s MORTAL blood in him, and when the blessing reconverted everything IMMORTAL back to MORTAL and vice versa, it was the conversion of Jack’s blood inside that made him immortal.

20. Conor
    September 11th, 2011 at 1.11am | #20

@Gavin you’re the first person I have seen state that obvious fact, well done! :D

Comment pages