OFFICIAL: New Doctor Who companion revealed!

March 21st, 2012
official-new-doctor-who-companion-revealed

Jenna-Louise Coleman has today been confirmed as the new Doctor Who companion!

The official announcement was made via the official Doctor Who Twitter page this morning. The 25 year old actress is best known for her portrayal of Jasmine Thomas in the ITV1 soap Emmerdale, and she has also played Lindsay James in BBC One’s Waterloo Road. This weekend she’ll be seen as Annie Desmond in ITV1’s Titanic, a series marking the 100th anniversary of the doomed voyage.

Coleman will make her debut in Doctor Who during this year’s Christmas Special, after the departure of Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill as Amy and Rory Pond.

She’s said that she is “beyond excited” to start filming. “I can’t wait to get cracking,” she said. “Working alongside Matt is going to be enormous fun, and a huge adventure.”

Showrunner Steven Moffat has added: “It always seems impossible when you start casting these parts, but when we saw Matt and Jenna together, we knew we had our girl. She’s funny and clever and exactly mad enough to step on board the TARDIS. It’s not often the Doctor meets someone who can talk even faster than he does, but it’s about to happen. Jenna is going to lead him his merriest dance yet. And that’s all you’re getting for now. Who she’s playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lord ever encounters. Even by the Doctor’s standards, this is not your usual boy meets girl…”

Finally, the Controller of BBC One, Danny Cohen, finished: “As we approach Doctor Who’s 50th anniversary, it is great to welcome a new companion to the TARDIS, and I feel confident the Doctor will look after her in his unique style…” We are sure he will too!

If you’ve something to say about Series 7, head on over to our dedicated discussion!

1. Steve
    March 21st, 2012 at 10.58am | #1

I doubt the departure of Amy will be anything but joyous!
    I will be keeping my fingers crossed that Jenna-Louise Coleman will prove to be much better than KG but I am a little sad that once again SM shows absolutely no originality in his choice! That is one thing you can say about RTD, he took chances with his companions!

March 21st, 2012 at 1.05pm | #2

Jenna is an unexpected choice, though that’s not to say an unwelcome one. I just don’t think that any of us would have thought of her as the next Companion, for whatever reason.

I’ve only seen her in Waterloo Road personally, so I’ll be interested to see what kind of companion she’ll make, though it’s going to be a long wait.

3. Patrick
    March 21st, 2012 at 1.09pm | #3

I think she’ll be a decent companion. It really depends how the character is written. She’s a great actress as I’ve seen her in Waterloo Road & saw bits of her in Emmerdale. I am of course upset that Karen and Arthur are both leaving in episode 5 only thing i like about that episode is RETURN OF THE WEEPING ANGELS :D

March 21st, 2012 at 2.04pm | #4

@Patrick
    I just hope the Weeping Angels will be the Weeping Angels, as opposed to the weaker, neck-snapping versions of Series 5.

The Weeping Angels send you back in time and trap you there, living off the days you should have lived in the present. There was something original, so violent without any actual violence and they attacked in the split second you blinked.

Those were the Weeping Angels, I just hope those are the Weeping Angels that return.

5. Patrick
    March 21st, 2012 at 2.22pm | #5

@JC
    It would be really cool to see both types of the Angels returning. The neck-snapping Angels and the ones that sent you back in time. Moffat did say this though on his Twitter: “Not everyone gets out alive. And I mean it this time!” Of course it could be a red-herring but everyone assumes Amy and Rory will die.

6. Katie
    March 21st, 2012 at 2.46pm | #6

Wonder what the character will be called! I hope she doesnt get pulled into some plot like Amy and River. I just want a normal companion that travels with the Doctor, not lots of wibbly wobbly stories!

7. shawn
    March 21st, 2012 at 4.20pm | #7

ive only ever seen her in emmaredale and i liked her hopefully shell make a good compianion fingers crossed she wil :)

8. Borusa
    March 21st, 2012 at 4.37pm | #8

@Steve
    How can you say RTD was more original with his companions. Rose, Martha and Donna were all contemporary Earth female humans, not exactly original when almost every previous companion was the same.

We don’t even know what Coleman’s character will be. For all we know she could be from the past, the future or be an alien, which is something RTD didn’t do when it came to the primary companions. Sure we had Astrid for an alien, Jackson Lake for the past and Capatin Jack for future, but all were either one-offs or secondary companions.

Also, in all fairness to SM, this is only his third companion, so he hasn’t had the chance to be a bit more creative with his companions. Then, with the 50th anniversary coming up it’s only wise to go with something fans are familiar with, ie. young female, because the last thing that should be done is introduce a companion of an age or gender that is completely different from before.

I don’t think it’s fair to be making any kind of judgements yet, because all we know is who is playing the next companion, not who the character is, where she’s from, what here relationship with the Doctor is, etc. Let’s just be glad we have a beautiful young woman to succeed Karen Gillian and Arthur Darvill.

March 21st, 2012 at 7.32pm | #9

I’ll be interested to see what they do with the titles too, because she has a longer name than usual:

“Matt Smith

Jenna-Louise Coleman

Doctor Who”

10. Pip
    March 21st, 2012 at 7.38pm | #10

I disagree, I love Amy and Rory so I will sad to see them go :-(. but i always give people a chance and I’m sure Jenna will be great :-)

11. Pip
    March 21st, 2012 at 7.40pm | #11

I disagree with Steve that it will be joyous to see them leave, that’s what I meant :-p

12. Patrick
    March 21st, 2012 at 8.29pm | #12

@JC
    It might just be Jenna Coleman or Jenna Louise?

March 21st, 2012 at 10.25pm | #13

@Patrick
    They’re possibilities, yeah

14. mwanderson
    March 22nd, 2012 at 12.22pm | #14

@JC

And perhaps this is Amy or Rory’s fate – that one (or both of them) comes a’cropper to a Weeping Angel, and is sent back in time, lost to the Doctor forever…

It would make sense since the episode they leave in is “heartbreaking”… it would also make sense that if Rory is sent back first, then Amy would “sacrifice” herself by following him where the Doctor can never follow…

Who can say…

15. Calli Arcale
    March 22nd, 2012 at 3.51pm | #15

The angels of “Time of Angels” were weaker, yes, but not because of wussy storywriting. Because of *strong* storywriting. There was a legitimate reason they weren’t following their normal modus operandi. And it’s a damn good thing, too, because otherwise there is no possible way our heroes would have survived. I’d love to see them back to their original terror here too. I do worry a bit about them being overused, though. That singular horror that was played so well in “Blink” — you have to be careful not to overdo things like that, or the audience starts asking questions that upset the suspension of disbelief.

16. stephen
    March 22nd, 2012 at 5.40pm | #16

I cant wait to see the next series of doctor. I am looking foward to it. I know it will be a good series.

17. stephen
    March 22nd, 2012 at 5.43pm | #17

I agree with pip that it will be sad to see them go.

March 22nd, 2012 at 6.19pm | #18

@Calli Arcale
    I agree there was a reason why the Weeping Angels were weaker in Series 5 for story reasons, both because they weren’t in the best physical form and also, as you say, because there had to be a way for the characters to survive so many Weeping Angels.

They also introduced new aspects to the Weeping Angels that were quite interesting, such as the Angels using bodies they’d killed to communicate for the first time, and also the idea that any image/video of a Weeping Angel became a Weeping Angel.

As I said though, I’d like them to be back at full strength and restore their time-killing ability, mainly because it was quite original and a key part of their identity and their threat in Blink.

19. Simon
    March 22nd, 2012 at 7.57pm | #19

I have the idea that the ponds will go out like this…. the doctor, amy and rory will battle thr weeping angels and in the edn the weeping angles catch amy and send her back in time to make her grow old, rory cant stand to live on his own so he tells them to take him and he closes his eyes so that they send him back, they go out fighting

March 22nd, 2012 at 8.32pm | #20

@Simon

The interesting thing is that people ‘killed’ by the Weeping Angels don’t always end up in the same period of time.

For example, Billy Shipton was taken by the Angels and sent back to 1969, whilst Kathy Nightingale was sent back to 1920, so holding that pattern to be true, it’s possible that if both Amy and Rory were taken by the Weeping Angels, they could both end up in completely different time periods.

I suppose why people end up in different time periods could depend on anything, perhaps different Angels send people different amounts of time back.

Or perhaps because the Angels live on the days people should have lived, the amount of time they go back could be related to how long that person would have lived. In the case of Billy Shipton, he was sent back to 1969 and died as an old man, not too long after he was originally taken.

Comment pages