Rate & Discuss: The Day of the Doctor

November 23rd, 2013

In 2013, something terrible is awakening in London’s National Gallery; in 1562, a murderous plot is afoot in Elizabethan England; and somewhere in space an ancient battle reaches its devastating conclusion. All of reality is at stake as the Doctor’s own dangerous past comes back to haunt him.

It was the day he’s been running from all of his lives, but was it a day worth waiting for?

Well it doesn’t get much bigger than that! Doctor Who has just celebrated an honourable 50 years of time and space in a spectacular adventure that premiered simultaneously on TV and in cinemas worldwide. Millions of fans over the globe united as the Doctor’s past came back to haunt him and it was three Time Lords for the price of one as the mystery of John Hurt’s inscrutable incarnation was finally resolved. And what a resolution it was…

50 years ago today the Doctor started running and he hasn’t stopped running since. With returning Doctors, companions and villains alike, tonight’s landmark special paid tribute to the show’s spectacular past and also looked to the future as an ancient battle reached its devastating conclusion. There were plenty of shocks and surprises along the way and the stakes had never been higher… Now the Moment’s been and gone, how do you feel?

After years, months and weeks of huge anticipation and speculation, did The Day of the Doctor live up to your expectations? Was it worthy recognition of the Time Lord’s half a century in business? There’s lots to say and one place to say it. Share your views below!

NOTE: The discussion will NOT be spoiler monitored so please do not read the comments if you haven’t seen The Day of the Doctor. You have been warned!

Rate this episode
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(76 Votes, Average: 4.75/5)
  1. Henry Eggleton
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.10pm | #1

Galefrey no longer falls fantastic!

2. RissaP
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.13pm | #2

What an episode! The Doctor gains redemption and even though he doesn’t remember, he isn’t the horrible man he thinks he is.

3. shawn
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.18pm | #3

what an eipisode galefray no longer has fallen and the time lords were saved

4. Richard Trelfa
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.22pm | #4

A great show. Glad to have the mystery of the time war solved at last. Great to see all the generations of the Doctor, but would have liked to have seen more of the older Doctors. Other than that, a great way to celebrate the anniversary.

5. Wesley Pete
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.25pm | #5

When Doctor Tennant said ” I don’t want to go” I was smiling yet feeling a tinge of sadness and nostalgia. Then Tom Baker showed up and I was beaming! Gosh and when all 13 Doctors showed up to save Gallifrey including a small cameo from Capladi. That was absolutely absolutely fantastic!! Best episode ever!!

6. David
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.27pm | #6

WOW! Tom Baker! Back in Doctor Who! No words can explain what a special moment that was.

7. Lauren D
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.31pm | #7

So fantastic!!!! <3 the Tom Baker bits – I'm a little sad rose wasn't really Rose and had no interaction w/ 10 but it was still wonderful.

8. Profzed
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.33pm | #8

Brilliantly brilliant! I mean, that was really, really brilliant! Wonderful! Terrific! Fantastic! Jelly Baby!

Tom Baker’s appearance confused me – who was he was supposed to be? Was he the fourth? An off-shoot of the fourth? A clone? Meglos? EVEN STILL… Stupendously brilliant!

Thank-you Moff! Thank-you Matt! Thank-you David! Thank-you Mr. Hurt! Thank-you EVERY SINGLE PERSON INVOLVED in the production of this episode!

Brilliant!

9. Leah
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.33pm | #9

That was such an amazing episode, with so many surprises. With both Tom Baker and Peter Capaldi in, I felt like jumping up and down but when Tennant said “I don’t want to go”, I just felt like breaking down and crying. So many emotions I can’t even begin to explain.

10. Bev
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.35pm | #10

Tom Baker. Legend.

11. Garry
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.38pm | #11

Would like to have seen more Doctor’s and different regenerations, as they are looking the same.
    Gallifrey falls no more

12. Bridget Walker
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.47pm | #12

Wow! An episode befitting the 50th. It was a love letter to the past, whilst asking questions, and setting in motion the future. Brilliant. Thankyou Doctors – all 13 of you!

13. Amy
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.50pm | #13

That was absolute perfection. Tom Bakers cameo was amazing, brought a tear to my eye!

14. Kimberly
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.52pm | #14

to sum it up it was Fantastic, brilliant, clever and amazing :)

15. Manu
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.55pm | #15

My brain almost refused to belive the things it just saw. ;-) I loved every moment. I don’t know how many times I literally jump up from the sofa squealing or giggling. And grinning like an idiot for the time in between. I mean ALL of them. ALL! How am I supposed to go to bed now? Hm…easy I won’t. I just will have to watch it again…Thanks to all who made it such a great time waiting for it (I swear the clock went backwards just to irritate me) and now finally watching.

(sorry, was so giddy. I posted in the wrong discussion on first try…:))

16. Arran Stewart
    November 23rd, 2013 at 9.59pm | #16

That was an absolutely AWESOME episode!
    It was awesome how they brought back all of the doctors,including the legend that is Tom Baker, and when you saw Peter Capaldi, you could tell by that look in his eye that he is going to be a GREAT Doctor. Great that they brought back the Zygons as well. Glad they tied up the loose ends with the time war. Awesome story, Great 50th anniversary episode, and heres to another 50 years!

17. Juanita
    November 23rd, 2013 at 10.04pm | #17

Worth getting up for ! (Early morning in Australia for simulcast) Absolutely true Doctor Who & I’m still counting my Doctors. Looking forward to both the past and the future.

18. Kevin Docherty
    November 23rd, 2013 at 10.05pm | #18

What an episode!!! Wow! I’ve told my Mrs that I want this on DVD/BluRay for Christmas. But 1 question, does this mean the Master is now in the painting? Or has he already fled by this point(remember Last of the Time Lords)?

19. joshrr
    November 23rd, 2013 at 10.06pm | #19

I have tears down my face! It was truly a way to celebrate 50 years of this beloved show. It was an emotional ride, making me more proud than ever to be a Whovian.

From coal hill, to the three Doctors, Tom Baker and that stunning final image of all the Doctors, each and every scene made my heart beat faster and more tears down my face.

Thank you to everyone who has played a part in 50 years of Doctor Who.

20. Gail
    November 23rd, 2013 at 10.08pm | #20

I thought the episode a mixed bag frankly. The beginning started out with a sweet touch to the past, but during the Queen Elizabeth sequence, I felt it was rather plodding, although the scenes between Billie Piper and John Hurt were well done, and a great use of Rose Tyler. It was only in the last 20-25 minutes that things really took off in more ways than one, until the show finished with an A+ bang! I loved the way they worked in the War Doctor’s regeneration, and the split second appearance of Doctor Number Twelve. The brief interchange between the Tenth Doctor and Clara left me wondering what they would have been like as a team as well – that would have been interesting (in a good way). And Tom Baker at the end? Fantastic! (to coin a phrase).

Overall, I give this one 4 out of 5 stars.

(PS: I was expecting more Daleks, too seeing as they are the signature bad guys of Doctor Who.)

Comment pages