So, should the next Doctor be a female…?

February 19th, 2017
so-should-the-next-doctor-be-a-female

It’s the question that’s dominating Whovian discussion all over the world, and just about every other discussion, too.

Following last month’s shock announcement that Peter Capaldi will be leaving Doctor Who in this year’s Christmas Special, our attention has already turned to who will or might be cast as his successor, despite the fact he’ll be sticking around for another 13 episodes.

And, of course, amidst the flurry of potential candidates, the inevitable debate has once again been sparked…

Should the Thirteenth Doctor be a female? Well, Ladbrokes certainly seem to think so – they currently have 7/2 odds on it being Oscar winner Tilda Stinton, and the campaign for a Time Lady has recently been backed by former companion Billie Piper who thinks sticking with tradition would “be a snub”. But what do YOU think? We’d love to hear your opinions on the matter at hand, so vote in the poll below and be sure to join the friendly debate in the comments section. Hopefully it will give us an idea of the general consensus, if there even is one! Either way, it’s a topic that will keep us all talking for the foreseeable…

Should the Thirteenth Doctor be a female?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Need to get something off your chest? Browse our Discussions to have your say…

1. R
    February 19th, 2017 at 9.01pm | #1

Only a female doctor when I am personally approached for the role x

February 19th, 2017 at 9.39pm | #2

Ah, such a difficult question.

Most of me would like The Doctor to stay consistant with his regeneration parameters of 53 years, but a small part of me thinks The Doctor would LOVE the novelty of being a woman and also enjoy the change of perspective on the Universe.

That’s the only answer I can think to give really.

3. stella
    February 20th, 2017 at 10.27pm | #3

no the doctor is a male and that is it!!!plus why Tilda I really do not like her! But hey, I do not like a woman doctor and I’m a woman. NO NO NO A WOMAN NO NO NO

4. JoshRrr
    February 21st, 2017 at 2.34pm | #4

I’m against the idea of a female Doctor because I just know it’ll be treated as a Politically Correct Publicity Stunt and that there will be some lame jokes about the Doctor changing Gender both in the show and in real life.
    And think about it the Doctor spends 90% of his time in danger and getting attacked and most people nowadays flip their lid whenever a woman gets hurt on tv or film, like the X-men Poster Controversy last year. With a female Doctor the show will either get complaints a lot or be forced tone down the danger.

The Master being female still isn’t sitting well with me and just complicated the relationship with the Doctor and the bit when they kissed felt like something out of a dreadfull fanfiction, I am against that happening with the Doctor. So yeah long story short keep the Doctor male!

5. Alex Who?
    February 22nd, 2017 at 12.20am | #5

If they cast a woman or a person of color, it should be for the right reasons. Because that actor/actress can truly fill the role.
    Its fine by me IF ITS NOT for a publicity stunt or to be pc.

6. Bigsi
    February 22nd, 2017 at 1.17am | #6

I think it could work, new show runner, new doctor new gender, it would be modern and perhaps even grow the fan base because the show is always expanding and adapting….I think someone in University could write an essay or dissertation about this

7. Simon
    February 22nd, 2017 at 12.05pm | #7

I honestly cannot see why this comes up every time we get a new Doctor, it’s ridiculous and I feel sorry for the new showrunner.

If he picks a female actor (not allowed to say actress any more) it’ll be because he’s bowed to pressure, if he doesn’t it’ll be because he’s a sexist pig.

The Doctor is a man. Has been since 1963.

Yes I know he *could* regenerate into a woman, but I can’t find a single decent argument as to why he should – other than to pander to people like Billy Piper who actually think it would be “a snub” not to.

What??

It’d be a snub to keep the Doctor a man, despite the fact that he’s been merrily snubbing becoming female since 1963?

Utter rubbish.

I’m going to stop now because I could go on for ages and nobody wants that.

February 22nd, 2017 at 12.20pm | #8

@Simon

I think it’s safe to say we all have strong feelings, hopes and worries when the shadow of the next Doctor looms.

9. The 13th doctor
    February 22nd, 2017 at 4.39pm | #9

I think, yes. But it’s too soon at the moment. It would feel like it too much, too soon, with the recent Master/Mistress change.

10. Paul S
    February 22nd, 2017 at 11.42pm | #10

I’m not sure that a female Doctor would sit well with me? I’m all for strong female leads but the whole regenerating between different genders just doesn’t tick my box.

I mean why does the Doctor always refer to his Granddaughter? After all, Susan could now be a man apparently and have been so for hundreds of years! Doesn’t seem to have crossed the Doctors mind though! I wonder why?

I think it may still be best to keep the status quo (certainly for now) and bring in strong female characters like Romana or the Rani? Or even the Doctors Daughter – remember her?

Just my opinion really but interestingly I feel the need to point out that virtually all of my female friends are even more against a female Doctor than I am, which I find quite interesting.

What will be will be when all is said and done, let’s just hope and pray that Doctor Who remains strong and keeps delivering the show that we have all come to adore over these many years! :)

11. Ray Williams
    March 20th, 2017 at 7.25pm | #11

Back in 2013 before Capaldi was cast I thought Zawe Ashton (Vod in Fresh Meat ) would make an excellent Doctor. Four years on and I still think she would be great in the role. She is a fine actress , has an intelligent face and although very beautiful has this asexual quality about her.

12. Mitchell Singleton
    March 26th, 2017 at 7.42pm | #12

No thank you to a female Doctor. How does it work Gynaecology speaking?? No one explained how the Master became Missy , nips and tucks and breast enhancement?? A lot of plastic surgery?? Trans wotsit operations?? A lot of people will not watch any more if a woman becomes the next Doctor. Don’t spoil the programme

13. NinjaFossil
    April 16th, 2017 at 10.33pm | #13

It would be interesting to see a female doctor, but I’d rather see a black male doctor first – why not? I think it could be an interesting idea (as long as it doesn’t become a political statement), and I suppose I just personally want to see it

14. NinjaFossil
    April 16th, 2017 at 10.34pm | #14

@Mitchell Singleton
    I think it’s just regeneration being weird

15. Valcoor
    April 29th, 2017 at 12.29am | #15

The idea od a female Dr is one that takes a lot of getting used to. However, if there IS to be a female Dr, may I humbly suggest Helen Mirren in the role. I think she’d make a perfect female Dr.

16. RealMan
    May 22nd, 2017 at 6.58am | #16

You guys are stupid. Of course it’s going to be female. Dummies.

17. Grace
    May 25th, 2017 at 8.57am | #17

It can be whatever they want it to be. Just don’t be surprised when people go looking for their entertainment elsewhere! Because at some point it will go from “Doctor Who” to doctor who cares?!

I preferred John Simm to Michelle Gomez. She had several great appearances but I watched despite Missy! In my mind she should have been the Rani! I hated not having The Master be Simms or someone like the previous Masters! Maybe because I’ve seen every Doctor Who episode that ever was I know what worked, what allowed the show to go on despite being older than most of it’s many current viewers. If something works…why destroy it?

18. Esme
    May 31st, 2017 at 10.49pm | #18

What is with everyone being against the Doctor being a woman? Will it be all that bad? He is a fictional character, and can be anything. So if the Doctor is female, openly gay, or non-white it will still work. I for one will LOVE for her first words to be “I’m a damsel. I’m in distress. I can handle this. Have a nice day!”.

19. aaron
    June 6th, 2017 at 9.20pm | #19

nope. doc has always been male and is what you think of when you imagine the doctor. We already have one female master.

20. marie gagliardi
    June 27th, 2017 at 2.10pm | #20

not since Amy pond left the doctor have I wiped the tears from my eyes, and this past episode had the same reaction. not since 1980 and my horror when I saw my best friend Dr. who regenerate and did not know what the future held for him and me. what a staple to know such great writing all these years as I watch my friends my sweetheart, my brother and yes my father Dr. Who show the world we can care for each other. I’m so thankful for the writers and BBC giving this American women the best of tv in the world, don’t leave, stay dr. who, and stay my father.

Comment pages