The Doctor & I – a fan project that’s like no other!

June 27th, 2013
the-doctor-i-a-fan-project-thats-like-no-other

We’ve all got a “The Doctor & I” story. It’s time to tell yours.

As you will all know 23rd November 2013 will mark 50 years of Doctor Who, as well as half a century of its accompanying fandom that continues to be a big part of all of our lives.

Although all of our journeys with the Doctor start at different times his ongoing adventures continue to unite millions of us all around the world as we discuss, debate and share in his voyage through through time and space.

As part of our 50th anniversary festivities, we want to how your Whovian journey began.

We’re inviting you to submit your own essays (but they’re not really essays – essays are NOT cool!) detailing your personal introduction to the Doctor Who fandom – how did it all begin for you? What initially got you hooked? How has your life been affected since? We are particularly looking for accounts that are special, moving and, mostly, unique to you.

Basically, we want to know what being a Whovian means to YOU – whether you’ve been following the Doctor since Day 1 or accidentally stumbled upon his recent adventures at 4 in the morning on Netflix, we want to hear from you, in essay/report/diary/story style.

And here comes the really cool bit: these Whovian stories will be collated into a special commemorative book which you’ll be able to buy later this year. This book will serve as a celebration of our fandom that has been 50 years in the making with stories from fans worldwide, young and old, as we come together to mark the show’s huge 50th birthday…

We’re very excited about this project and hope you all get involved to help us build up to the big day in style. We’ll bring you updates soon – keep up to date with the latest here.

1. Josh C
    June 27th, 2013 at 8.27pm | #1

My adventures with the doctor began June 4, 2013 when friends birthday came around, woth the money he got he got a hat that I later found out was a dalek hat. After explaining to the best of hus ability what the hat waz and outlining doctor who, I decided I was gunna jump in the fandom cuz the show actually interests me.
    I went home, logged onto netflix, and searched “Doctor Who” and saw that there was DW and DW Classic. I set my summer goal, still in progress, to watch all of the 6 seasons of DW then the classic DW. This goal actually helped me get a girlfriend, her name is emma, because I knew she was into crazy fandoms so I asked if she wanted to do an all night DW Marathon and she said yes, we considered it a first date. My adventures with the doctor withh continue on a lifetime and Im glad my friend got the dalek hat the start it all.

2. Josh C
    June 27th, 2013 at 8.30pm | #2

@Josh C
    Dalek hat *to* start it all

3. Josh C
    June 28th, 2013 at 12.06am | #3

@Josh C
    Delete this one please, I’m posting a new one with more detail and some things I forgot

4. Josh C
    June 28th, 2013 at 12.09am | #4

My adventures with the doctor started not to long ago, June 4th really. It was the day of my friend Anthony’s birthday and he decided to buy a Dalek hat, now at first I thought that was a bit obsessive and dumb but I found slight interest in Doctor Who, and I was honestly surprised. After that he really never wore the hat to school again and I felt bad, so I apologized and decided I’d take a look into Doctor Who.
    Prior to this I’d been introduced several times and considered watching it but never did. My friends I talk to through Skype are fans. I knew that the show revolved around a man and his TARDIS and a companion. I knew that he could regenerate, I knew there had been 11 doctors so far. But that was it, I didn’t know much more.
    I don’t know why I pushed it off so long, maybe because I had no real incentive to watch thew show, or maybe I was just dumb haha. But I know I don’t regret watching the first episode where the Doctor (Christopher Eccleston)first met Rose saving her from the manikins.
    To me, being a Whovian makes me part of a diverse group of people who have one interest in common, Doctor Who, Classic or New, We all share an interest. I know as a fact there are people in the community around me who are also Whovians, I just don’t know them.
    I’m glad I started watching Doctor Who, and I’m proud to call myself a Whovian, to my own surprise Doctor Who has even gotten me closer to the girl I hope to date, Emma. I knew she is into crazy fandoms of all kinds and I asked if she wanted to have a Doctor Who marathon with me when she gets back, and she said sure.
    I feel like I made this a bit to long, but it did say Essay/Report/Diary/Story.

5. Wendie Vanderwater
    July 2nd, 2013 at 4.24pm | #5

I started watching the Doctor in 1968 when I was 10 years old. I loved the way he made me laugh and cry. I watched until it ended but was beyond excited when I saw it on Netflix and began the adventure again with the Ninth Doctor. Before that the Fourth Doctor was always my hero. The last three regenerations have been so wonderful. I have my whole family hooked on the show. My grandson stated, “Why haven’t we always watched this?” Why, indeed. I feel the Doctor is a positive role model for children. Be tolerant, don’t be afraid to try new things, and always embrace the unexpected. Thank you Doctor for 50 years of joy.

6. Lia Godoy Gomes
    July 2nd, 2013 at 4.30pm | #6

My adventure with the doctor who did not start for a long time.
    to tell the truth was in June last year when he began to be televised Culture here in Brazil (I’m Brazilian I mentioned?) at the time I did not get very well with almost anyone and was the most quiet of my room class.
    as I live in a little town developed, no one here but me knew what doctor who.
    And in February this year when I became one whovian contruí my first TARDIS a cardboard box that was in my house.
    since then I can not go a day without talking about The Doctor and his adventures. and managed to find two more whovians in my city, we even created a group.
    Doctor who Thanks for changing my life and conquer the world with his adventures cool

7. Lia Godoy Gomes
    July 2nd, 2013 at 4.41pm | #7

I’m sorry if I did not use the correct terms, but I did all the above comment using a website translator

8. saitouuryuuji
    July 2nd, 2013 at 6.19pm | #8

Is this where you submit your stories? or where do you submit them?

July 3rd, 2013 at 10.46am | #9

There are two ways to submit your essays to Whoviannet.

You can read all about the project in the FAQ section of this link and details about how to submit your entry in the “Submit Your Essay” section.

The comment box isn’t ideal for entries. If possible, you should either e-mail the essay using the address or the form provided in the “Submit Your Essay” section.

Hope that helps.

10. Daniel Spino
    July 3rd, 2013 at 12.21pm | #10

My Doctor Who story started when my Dad got me to watch the Tom Baker story “The Invasion of Time” over 10 years ago. I thought it was fantastic and as UK Gold was showing Tom Baker – Sylvester McCoy weekly I tuned in and watched almost every episode from the late 70’s and 80’s. (Too bad for some reason they were not allowed to show any of the Dalek stories)At the same time the dvd’s were coming out so we bought a dalek boxset in town that had “The Dalek Invasion of Earth” “Resurrection of the Daleks” & “Remembrance of the Daleks”. This was the start, as I kept an eye out for every new episode coming out on dvd, and caught up with the rest on Youtube. When the new series came out not that long after I had caught up most of the classic series, I couldn’t wait, and jumped onto it immediately and have watched vividly ever since. We are still collecting dvd’s and by the end of this year will have the entire collection. I have seen every single surviving episode (Bar the “Underwater Menace Part 2″) and heard all of the missing episodes on audio. I mainly grew up with Peter Davison, his are the ones I remember the most from UK Gold and he remains my favourite, with the Five Doctors being the story I have seen nearly a hundred times. Long live who!

11. brian mattocks
    July 4th, 2013 at 10.13pm | #11

heres my story is any use and u can use pix if u wish?

12. Juliana
    July 5th, 2013 at 12.42am | #12

My adventure with the Doctor started kind of like what John Green said – slowly, then all at once. It was 2011 and I was hooked on DeviantArt, and my favourite artist there kept making these fanarts of a british show I had vaguely heard of (I’m brazilian, we’re not big on british tv); and then all I could see was the Doctor in every new art, from all these artists I admired. So I thought, “well, if all these people – who happen to have great taste – love this show so much, maaaaybe I should give it a shot”. Mind you, I wasn’t quite sold yet; much as I love sci-fi, I was pretty determined not to be swayed into this fandom so quickly. Needless to say, I was skeptical. So I invited my brother for a two-week marathon of this new weird show, during winter break. You know the rest: my plans of reading during break? Poof, gone. Big outing with friends? As if. Staying up from 8am to midnight watching Doctor Who(which at the time, according to my father, was “a noisy movie that never ends, and I want the TV to watch football”)? That about sums it up. Back to school and I was sleep deprived, late on school work, and zoning out constantly into the TARDIS in the middle of class. I’m still not sure if I ever came back to reality.

13. aly
    July 5th, 2013 at 5.15am | #13

For me it all began with a t shirt. But not just any old t shirt. I didn’t know it at the time but it was the TARDIS. My friend was wearing a bright blue shirt with the words Police Public Call Box on it. And I remember thinking it was so unusual, so weird looking. I asked her what it stood for. She looked almost offended. (Now I get it!)
    She rigidly informed me it was for the Doctor.
    You can guessed what I asked. . . Doctor who?

14. aly
    July 5th, 2013 at 5.41am | #14

After I watched the first episode in the 2005 series I was hooked. Who wouldn’t want to follow a man who can travel time and space, getting into all types of trouble? It got worst with his 10th regeneration. I’m afraid there’s no turning back now. Enjoying moment after moment, planet after planet, companion after companion, there came a point when I wondered. I mean really wondered. The Doctor is just that fantastic.
    My favorite companion I’d say would have to be Rose. If possible I’d avert to Captain Jack Harkness, but that’s just being greedy.
    My favorite episode? The Shakespearian Code. Gotta love that J.K.
    My favorite quote? “The soufflé isn’t the soufflé. The soufflé is the recipe.” Says it all, doesn’t it?
    My favorite Doctor? Every. Single. One.
    Being a fan of this tv show has made me a believer. That not everything is impossible. That the world is so much bigger and smaller than I thought it was. That bow ties are cool.
    And that, no matter how much we might run from it or hate that its true, all good things (even the Doctor) must come to an end

15. Bailey
    July 12th, 2013 at 5.26am | #15

It started one day when I decided to see what my dad was doing. He was watching some strange tv show about a redheaded girl with a Scottish accent, a man with a bowtie, and another woman with very curly hair. When I asked him what it was, he began to explain something about a statue that need to be looked at, a girl who couldn’t open her eyes, and a mysterious crack in someone’s bedroom wall. I was instantly interested, and confused. So he did what any Whovian would do: made me watch Blink. After that all I wanted to do was watch! Doctor Who has changed my life in so many ways, including bringing me and my dad closer together. I have introduced 9 people to DW and they all love it. Every day I listen very closely; if the TARDIS comes, I’m not gonna miss my chance!

16. Haley Carrell
    July 13th, 2013 at 3.39am | #16

I have been a whovian literally since birth. I would go to all of the conventions, dress up as past companions, and live my life around the crazy fan base. I’m 13 now, and I am hooked. I obsess and obsess over Doctor Who, it is my religion. My mum took me to therapy because she thought i was insane. That was fun explaining Doctor Who to my therapist, she did not understand anything. It was just plain funny. Christopher was a brilliant Doctor, but David Tennant was astonishing! I love David Tennant! I am always reading about the next episode and, I rant and rant about how something has a plot hole. Doctor Who defines me, whilst I am fairly intelligent, I am a geek and a nerd. Always aware, but forever a whovian. I love the show, I love the fans, and I especially love the family.

17. joshrr
    July 22nd, 2013 at 10.06pm | #17

I was around eight years old when I first met Doctor Who.
    The Episode was New Earth.
    My father was a fan of the classic series when he was a kid, and he liked the new series. So he turned it on T.V and I decided to watch it as well, because at that age I already liked sci-fi stuff.
    At that age I was still watching comedy cartoons so this was a leap into bolder T.V.
    I couldn’t put my finger on it, but there was something about it that entranced me. I barely understood what was going on, and in those days when I didn’t understand I just gave up and walked away. But not that time. I was so entranced by the man in a box bigger on the inside, going on amazing adventures throughout all of time and Space, I kept watching.
    When I found out that it was a continuous show I decided to watch them all, and after that, I never looked back!
    Within weeks it became an obsession that grew and grew over the years!
    It changed me. My imagination grew. I started taking acting as a hobby just so I could be the next Doctor!
    I soon found out about the classic series and I to became a fan of it!
    My favourite Doctor will always be The 10th Doctor. He is MY Doctor. I still cry when I watch the regeneration scene!
    I now am a total geek .I know nearly everything about Doctor Who. People think I’m odd, but I’m okay with that, because what I do is what I know the Doctor would do. I think they’re the odd ones, for not liking Doctor Who!

Doctor Who gave me a purpose in life, I know that sounds sad but its the truth. It’s shaped the person I have become.

Life without Doctor Who is a pointless life.

18. Savannah
    August 5th, 2013 at 4.45pm | #18

About a year ago, when I was twelve, I started watching Doctor Who.
    It was after a day at an amusement park with our friends, and they asked for us to come to their house and watch Doctor Who. It was there where I saw my first episode, one with Matt Smith. I was instantly impressed with the complexity of the show. The writers must be geniuses. I couldn’t wait to see the next episode.
    Too this day, I own a doctor who hat and shirt, go on many marathons, quote DW constantly, and NEVER blink around statues.

19. Ronnifano
    August 5th, 2013 at 6.42pm | #19

I Started watching Doctor Who in 2005, I just stumbled across it and thought, “what’s that?” and put a reminder on it. It was the best decision I ever made. I watched that episode and haven’t missed one since.
    Being a Whovian has changed my life it has made me and others around me think differently about things such as “are we alone in the universe?” but most importantly that we can escape from reality through Tv programs such as Doctor Who. Doctor Who isn’t just for Whovians it’s for everyone old and young.
    Other than that there can be life on other planets, Doctor who has taught me and other Whovians to “Dream big” and to “follow your dreams” and you never know one day there could be “a madman with a box” crashed at the end of your garden someday.

20. Sarah
    August 5th, 2013 at 9.29pm | #20

I can’t remember the date I first started watching DW. I must have been around 7 years old. My family watched an episode on TV and wham! We were hooked. My mother went on the internet and ordered the box set of the first series and since then it’s been a tradition to order one at the end of every series. Those DVDs represent more than a tv show. It’s a symbol family. Besides for that DW has taught me so much. There’s no shame in dreaming impossible dreams because any day a raggedy man can drop from the sky and change your life.