OFFICIAL: Jodie Whittaker announced as the Thirteenth Doctor

July 16th, 2017
official-jodie-whittaker-announced-as-the-thirteenth-doctor

After months of speculation, Jodie Whittaker has been announced as the Thirteenth Doctor in Doctor Who.

As the first female to officially (sorry, Joanna Lumley!) portray the iconic role, the actress will make her debut as the Time Lord in this year’s Christmas Special.

She said: “I’m beyond excited to begin this epic journey with every Whovian on the planet. It’s more than an honour which means remembering everyone I used to be, while stepping forward to embrace everything the Doctor stands for: hope.”

Her era will be overseen by incoming showrunner Chris Chibnall, who she has previously worked with on his ITV drama Broadchurch. Chris has described Jodie as his “number one choice”, adding: “I always knew I wanted the next Doctor to be a woman. Jodie’s audition blew us all away. Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and she will bring wit, strength and warmth to the role. The Thirteenth Doctor is on her way.”

The Thirteenth Doctor is... Jodie Whittaker! Initial thoughts?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Peter Capaldi, who will be handing over the TARDIS keys to Jodie in the festive adventure, commented: “Anyone who’s seen Jodie Whittaker’s work will know that she’s a wonderful actress of great individuality. Above all, she has the huge heart to play this special part.”

What a day! Discuss your reactions to the historic news in the comments below…

July 16th, 2017 at 4.39pm | #1

I didn’t know how I’d feel about a female Doctor. Part of me really wanted him to stay as he has always been, but part of me was excited about the idea of him seeing the universe from a completely new perspective as a woman.

My first reaction has been just that, excitement and I’m relieved that’s the case. I know her as Beth Latimer from Broadchurch (although I didn’t recognise her with blonde hair) and despite any previous trepidation I had about a female Doctor, that has disappeared now. I know a lot of people will be unhappy about this and believe me, I’m sympathetic, but I’m already fully supportive of the 13th Doctor.

Can’t wait until we see Peter Capaldi regenerate into her, just for the reaction from The Doctor of being a woman for the first time.

2. Adg
    July 16th, 2017 at 4.49pm | #2

More importantly – is she ginger?

July 16th, 2017 at 5.02pm | #3

@Adg

Nope, still not ginger. One day Doctor, one day.

4. JK
    July 16th, 2017 at 5.25pm | #4

I hope Jodie will nail this role in the coffin. Best of wishes xx

5. MB
    July 16th, 2017 at 6.08pm | #5

I have been a fan of this show since Jon Pertwee was The Dr, I love Missy and the actress who plays her, but why have the turned the Dr into a young, pretty, blonde, bimbo. Its just such bad casting and just so wrong. The target audience for this show is young males and older males, they will just leave this show in their thousands. Such a pity.

6. Hans
    July 16th, 2017 at 6.29pm | #6

Great, about time!
    Can those chauvinistic male daleks also be upgraded to a female equivalent?

Ps. Get Rory back.

7. growle
    July 16th, 2017 at 8.28pm | #7

Oh dear what an absolutely dreadful day. It is hard to understand the nastiness of the BBC. Well, they only have themselves to blame when the ratings and the overseas sales tumble , They have really killed the golden goose. Fans will desert the show in their millions all because they wanted to make another ghastly PC point. I give it one season.
    So who should be the 14th Doctor ?

8. Valcoor
    July 16th, 2017 at 9.33pm | #8

@Hans
    A female Dalek? hmmm… it would be,,,, interesting

9. Grace
    July 16th, 2017 at 10.21pm | #9

Recipe for failure:

1)IGNORE WHAT THE FANS YOU ALREADY HAVE WANT TO SEE!

2)USE THE AMERICAN MODEL OF TV WRITING BY USING PRETTY YOUNG THINGS AND TALKING ABOUT WHO THEY FANCY INSTEAD OF DOING ANY REAL WRITING FOR THE SHOW!

3)ANYONE REMEMBER WHAT WENT WRONG WITH TORCHWOOD: Miracle Day?

Hey, maybe its just me! Perhaps this gimmick will work and the thousands that have already been turned away from WHO due to Moffatt’s inability to steer in one believable direction will somehow wish to return! Sure no one wants to admit that by the time Matt/Amy/Clara situation finally ended we were in doubt that the show would even be seen on BBC again!

Then they brought Peter in (which was brilliant) but they underused his creative genius! Still even Peter couldn’t have been expected to fix every colossal mistake from the past during his three years but at least HE tried to give his all into the roll he was given! And yes, HE did it well!

But the strength of WHO shouldn’t be on the back of one actor even if he is the main actor he can’t be expected to do the impossible! It should be a team effort! The people behind the screen have to do their parts too!

The people behind CLASSIC WHO USED TO UNDERSTAND THIS! There’s a reason we STILL WATCH Classic Who. It was a working formula!

Does anyone remember that it was great writer, strong characters, unbelievably funny situations that combined to make the Doctor and his companions have to rise above the crazy while employing a bit of their own? Every show one thing was clear: They were going to fight for what they believed, popular opinion or not. It was also about watching characters overcome their own fears and a subtle reminder that we could do the same! It was filled with companions that genuinely understood concepts such as “the greater good” and they weren’t so focused on themselves! Today we have companions that are so caught up in their own drama that they don’t focus on what really matters: SAVING THE PLANET or at least the people on the planet!

The last strong companion was Donna Noble! She was the best modern companion because she represented all the things we loved about them on Classic WHO. She was well-rounded, she had a mind of her own, and she was still human in a lot of ways meaning she had the courage of her convictions! She wasn’t a sex obsessed immature child! (Maybe Bill ought to get her personal life sorted and then attempt to expand her mind rather than her libido. That was the same formula that made us cringe every time we thought about Martha Jones!)

Okay, rant over. All I’m saying is WHO-ever or whatever the Doctor is going to be, let’s try to remember the mistakes of the past and D-E-L-E-T-E them! If you’re about to turn it into a good ole soap opera then at least have the decency to change the title from “Doctor Who” to “Class 2!” That way we won’t be surprised when it vanishes back into oblivion or worse…the books!

10. Amber
    July 17th, 2017 at 1.12am | #10

so excited about this casting. It is totally in line with the character of the doctor who has hinted before at having been both man and woman. For those saying they have cast a young blonde bimbo, please know that the actress is 35 and being attractive does not make one a bimbo (whatever that means anyway.) I can’t wait to see Jodie take on the character of the Doctor and portray his long and complicated history. The character of the doctor will remain the same despite the genitalia of the actor in question. I really don’t know why people are having a problem with this.

11. Matthew
    July 17th, 2017 at 7.31am | #11

Anyone who suggests the Tardis will now be pink and that the Dr will have trouble parking it should hang their head in shame

12. John Cantelo
    July 17th, 2017 at 10.56am | #12

@MB
    She’s older than several others who’ve taken the role, several of the men could be called ‘handsome’ and Colin Baker was blond. It also seems a huge assumption that because the new incarnation is blonde and female then they must be a ‘bimbo’. If, as you claim, the target audience is male then casting an attractive woman in the role might be a very smart move

13. Alex Who?
    July 17th, 2017 at 12.53pm | #13

Good Luck Jodie!

14. Ian
    July 17th, 2017 at 3.16pm | #14
  15. Amber
    July 18th, 2017 at 6.52am | #15

heaps of actors do nude scenes. It’s not a big deal. And our children will be watching her in Doctor Who not in movies that are inappropriate for them. @Ian

July 18th, 2017 at 10.16am | #16

@Ian

Well, it isn’t ideal, but some of the other Doctors have done scenes like that, as that article admits. Billie Piper did a controversial series for ITV after Doctor Who and I believe Alex Kingston did similar scenes in film roles in the 90s too.

It was a role. The Doctor’s another role.

17. Steve
    July 18th, 2017 at 10.23am | #17

@Ian Do you know your Doctor Who – I suspect not when you consider Colin Baker has images of himself on the interest in the nude! Peter Davison has appeared on screen nearly naked. Jon Pertwee appeared in Doctor Who naked! Even Matt Smith has appeared on screen naked! Kind of blows the Mail crap right out of the water!!!

On the new Doctor – Can I just point out that it has only been under Moffat that Time-Lords can change sex! Now every regeneration it male to female. Never in it’s history has this happened before, The reality is it is too little and too late. Yes, I am well aware JL did the spoof for Comic Relief and there is a female Doctor Who for big finish but no in main stream. Also I am aware Moffat has brought BF Doctor Who in as main stream but not the Unbound Universe. Personally I will give her a chance before I make a comment. The last 5 years under Moffat has virtually destroyed Doctor Who anyway. She could save the show.

July 18th, 2017 at 11.13pm | #18

@Steve

I think The Corsair was the first Time Lord mentioned as being able to regenerate from man to woman and back again in The Doctor’s Wife, right? … Always having the same tattoo done with each regeneration. It sort of retrospectively added in to Doctor Who history that a Time Lord can change genders, as the Doctor clearly knew him/her before The Last Great Time War.

19. Grace
    July 20th, 2017 at 3.40am | #19

@Steve
    You’re right! If we needed any proof that Doctor Who isn’t what it was under Davies all we have to do is look at the comment section on this page where it shows “most comments.” The River Song question got over 700. A historical moment like a “female” Doctor story has yet to get 20 comments. The truth is…. Nobody cares. Well, almost no one. Which if you think about it feels so much worse.